Here are the steps I go through to take good photos for Facebook. In this blog, Facebook is a summary of all its other brands such as Whatsapp, Messenger, Facebook App and Instagram.
Here is one of my best photos.
I prefer an Iphones for any kind of mobile photography. It gives you three formats of taking photos without third party apps. These formats are:
Landscape: This is where you hold your phone horizontally.
Portrait: This is where you hold the phone vertically.
Square: This is where you take a picture with a square image in the viewfinder.
The iPhones have grid lines in the camera app which you can use to frame your object. They don’t usually come activated but here is how you can do it:
- Unlock your phone.
- Go to settings.
- Select camera.
- Move the button on the word Grid to turn it to green colour.
- Go back to the camera app and you will see rectangles on your screen. These are the grid lines.
General smartphone photography tips.
- Always position yourself in the direction of light. Smartphone cameras take better pictures when the subject in good light.
- Properly frame your subject. Always make sure you have your subject well framed. The grid lines will prevent you from having your subjects cut off in the picture.
- Turn off the flashlight. This will enable you to keep uniform exposure of your subject.
- Do not zoom in. Avoid zooming in to the subject. This creates noise and results into terrible images.
- Lookout for obstacles. These are the main spoilers for photos. Always lookout for your fingers. Make sure they do not block the camera.
I use the Facebook app to connect with friends and communicate by sharing content inform of videos, images and audio. The app can access your camera and enable you to take photos.
In my experience, it’s always better to avoid taking photos in this app. They don’t usually have the same detail as those take using the phone app.
Open your camera app and take a photo. Then you can share the photo to the app and publish. This way your photo will be of better quality than one taken I the app.
The best photos on this app are in landscape from.
This I one of the most used apps on my phone. Here I connect with friends through video call and workmates through groups.
This platform prefers the landscape format photos. These look great when you rotate your phone horizontally.
Like the Facebook App, avoid taking photos within the app and use the camera app.
This is a very underutilized app by many people in my circles. It’s as powerful as Facebook App and WhatsApp. This app makes very good online calls both video and audio.
For photo sharing, its best you use the camera app.
This is a photo-based application by Facebook. It’s only here that square photos shine the most. This app also uses landscape photos but, in my opinion, they don’t look that good.
I would still advise you to use the primary phone camera app but in square form.
Photos for stories
The Facebook App, Whatsapp and Instagram all support status stories. These are best achieved if presented in portrait mood. Hold your phone vertically and take the photo using the phone app for better results.
Thank you for reading. Let me now how your experience with this is.
If you have any questions on how to take better photos for Facebook, please feel free to leave a comment and I will respond to you.
Leave a Reply